Friday, July 4, 2008

there's nothing more american....

than bike parades and baseball.


our ward put on a fourth of july breakfast for us at a nearby park. the weather was to die for. seriously, I think it was the world's more perfect day. 70 degrees, slight breeze, big billowy clouds.... we spent hours at the park. eating, chatting, trying to break out of our socially awkward shells... the weather was just perfect. sorry, arizona friends, family, but I think we were nearly half the degrees you guys were. (okay not quite, but still...) ooh, it was delectable.

we started the fourth all smiles, and red, white and blued
(pita's dress look familiar kays? I got compliments on it all day, thank you!)

we headed to our ward breakfast at the park, petra was pretty excited to see her friend, Lucy


petra's new favorite skill is going down the slide by herself

good times all around. I was so grateful to have somewhere to go, and have such a good time with my little family, and my ward family. I was a little disappointed that our day might be over, on such a gorgeous day. but alas, we also were kindly proffered another invitation for the rest of the day...


later we went to a bbq at our new friends, the Henry's
the men bonded over a game of bocce ball.
I couldn't help laughing every time the herd migrated...

more sliding for pita, of course.


pita gave an expression art piece, entitled
"independence day :: freedom from boxed oppression"

and explored her own new frontiers

then, of course, the day started to fade, and so did she

we spent the rest of the night at home, eating ice cream and watching tv fireworks. (also very american, I think)
we've been listening to the sound of fire works for hours, nay, days, and it's made the whole day seem festive.

I am grateful for a memorable day. I am grateful for religious freedom.
I am grateful for a beautiful state.
I am grateful for a free country, and the freedom to enjoy it all.

5 comments:

The Girl Next Door said...

hey girlfriend, I hope you're proud of me, the first thing I did when I got home was update my buddy list....just for you. I think Alex thinks my new love is my blog, oops! Anyways, I thought that you would be proud of me, I'm becoming a full-time blogger. gosh it fells good to say that! Awesome 4th post by the way, I often find myself sitting on the computer reading your blog and laughing out loud...very loud. You're pretty funny hunny! lots of love- Heidi

Ging said...

OK...I'm jealous...it must have been 115 here in sunny AZ! Looks like you had a great time! Love seeing pix of Petra, but what about you and Jeff????

Traci said...

You're post is so cute! I love the pictures. Petra is so absolutely adorable. Thanks for the note on my blog! Great to see how things are going. :)

Sara said...

Petra is darling! Looks like you're really enjoying life in the great NW! I was at Rog & Judy's today and you should have heard Aunt Judy raving about little Petra. They can't wait for your upcoming visit. :)

Livin' Wright said...

Chelsea! Petra is BEAUTIFUL! I can't believe how big she is getting. I am So Jealous of how green it is in seattle, and even more jealous of your writing abilities! You are amazing!